Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Evangelizing the 'Next America'

It's not exactly news that our country is headed for extraordinary challenges.
Tonight my husband Pat tried to explain the current economic "solution" to our debt crisis, and even though I suggested he explain it as if I were a 5th grader, my mind drifted away the minute he started talking dollars and cents. I can't comprehend it and I don't even want to try.

Next he updated me on Bill Donahue's latest crusade. Again I shook my head, wearily. I know what a "Catch 22" is but why is Obama putting us in one?

Despair - I know I am supposed to do something, but
the very idea of comprehending, not to mention doing something about the problems in our country in addition to living a busy family life makes me cringe. Like many of you I have kids who need me and I am tired!

But hey, I have figured it out. We are in good shape!

Because here is what I do understand:
the Pope chose Archbishop Charles Chaput as the next Archbishop of Philadelphia. He is at the helm bringing clarity into the murky darkness of what is going on and what we can do.

Below, in his insightful historical analysis of Catholicism in America, Chaput says,

"The ‘next America’ has been in its chrysalis a long time…. But the future is not predestined. We create it with our choices. And the most important choice we can make is both terribly simple and terribly hard: to actually live what the Church teaches, to win the hearts of others by our witness, and to renew the soul of our country with the courage of our own Christian faith and integrity.”-Catholics and the Next America - Charles Chaput, Archdiocese of Denver; soon to be Archbishop of Philadelphia







5 comments:

  1. So Mrs. D,
    You are right on track from what I can tell!
    In God we trust,
    Mrs. L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your blog!! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen! I wonder if the Chaput quote would fit on to a t-shirt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone in a far away country is reading your vibrant faith and it makes him feel alive :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jozef-
    That means everything!
    Joyfully In Christ,
    Lucy

    ReplyDelete